Is your new home gas safe?

Moving home can be a very busy and exciting time, with lots of various aspects to consider and checks to make to ensure everything is in good working order.

Image Credit

While making adjustments or improvements to your new property is often inevitable, there are some things you’ll want in tip-top shape before moving in. Checking the gas safety record of your new dwelling will be one of them.

The importance of being safe

Checking that your new home is gas safe before you move in is vital to ensure the property and its heating appliances won’t put you or your family in any danger. If gas appliances aren’t working properly, it can be extremely dangerous, potentially leading to gas leaks, fires or explosions. In particular, if gas appliances emit carbon monoxide, you won’t be able to detect this because it doesn’t smell. However, exposure to carbon monoxide is serious and could be life-threatening.

Making sure that all of your gas appliances are safe before moving in gives you complete peace of mind and is an essential part of the moving process.

Image Credit

Checking your property

Since you don’t know the history of the gas appliances, pipework and heating system of your new abode, including when these were last serviced and checked, it’s vital that you request this information from the vendor. The vendor should be able to provide you with a certificate, or Gas Safety Record, that details the information you require.

What happens if the vendor cannot supply this information? According to Property Checklists, if you are buying a property and it doesn’t have a current Gas Safety Record, get all of the gas appliances checked by a qualified Gas Safe engineer before exchanging contracts.

Bear in mind that these gas checks shouldn’t just be a one-off event. Once you have moved in, make sure to get your gas appliances regularly serviced to maintain safety standards. An experienced boiler servicing Bristol engineer, such as, will help to keep your boiler running efficiently during the colder months of the year, for example.

If you purchase any new heat-producing appliances, such as a boiler or gas fire, you will need the appropriate Building Regulations certificate, which is required by law. You will also need to show this if you sell your home in the future.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.