Have you ever reached the end of the day with a strong sense of pain in your legs that does not allow you to stand for a second longer? On days like these, the discomfort and pain that invades our body remain even after we have taken off our shoes and rested our feet. To help you deal with this annoying problem, we brought you a list of 10 natural remedies that will help you relieve swelling, and eliminate pain simply and effectively.
The next time you experience an episode of pain and swelling of the feet and legs, use your finger to apply pressure on the affected area. If the mark produced by finger pressure remains visible for more than a few seconds, it means that it could be an edema, a condition that can be the result of heart, liver, and kidney problems. In case of manifesting this symptom, we recommend you to make a medical consultation as soon as possible.
If you have to swell in only one leg, we also recommend a medical consultation, as it could indicate the presence of a blood clot in a deep vein, a condition known as “deep vein thrombosis”.
If the swelling manifests accompanied by fever, changes in skin pigmentation, difficulty breathing, or chest pains, you should seek medical attention immediately.
10 Natural Remedies:
- Dip your feet in Epsom salt
- Stop smoking
- Massages in the affected area
- Keep your body hydrated
- Eat healthily and avoid excess salt
- Elevate the legs
- Avoid sitting for long periods
- Uses compression stockings
- Increase magnesium consumption
- Dip your feet in Epsom salt: Pour 1 or 2 cups of Epsom salt into a bowl of hot water, and use it to soak your feet. To enhance the relaxing effects, you can also incorporate a few drops of your favorite essential oil. In this way, your feet will feel an almost immediate relief.
- Stop smoking: If you smoke tobacco you will surely know that one of the negative effects of nicotine is the narrowing of the blood vessels, one of the factors responsible for the swelling and pain of feet and legs.
- Massages in the affected area: Massages on the affected area help stimulate blood circulation, and displace fluids that accumulate causing swelling. If you have the opportunity, look for a person who can give you a good massage session, using warm oils that relax and relieve pain in that area.
- Keep your body hydrated: When the caffeine and sodium we consume accumulate in our system, the person is most likely to end up feeling pain and swelling in the extremities of the body. The best way to dilute these compounds is by taking plenty of water. If you want to maximize the effectiveness of hydration, squeeze the juice of half a lemon in a glass of water, and enjoy the benefits of its antioxidants and vitamins.
- Eat healthily and avoid excess salt: Although our body needs certain amounts of salt to function correctly when these amounts exceed the recommended limits, our body can be affected in a negative way. For this reason, we recommend reducing the consumption of salt in your daily meals and limit the intake of caffeine.
- Elevate the legs: If you suffer from chronic pain in the lower extremities, try to keep your legs in an elevated position for 30 minutes a day. This simple habit will help you improve the condition of your legs in a few days. Also, if you are resting in bed, we recommend placing your legs on several pillows, in order to elevate them and stimulate the drainage of fluids that could be causing pain and swelling.
- Avoid sitting for long periods: Whether on the plane, on the bus, or in the office, keeping the legs in the same position for prolonged periods of time can cause pain and swelling. If, for some reason, you have to sit still for a long time, make sure you stand up and stretch your limbs every 20 minutes.
- Uses compression stockings: If you have to stay in the same position for long periods of time, whether sitting or standing, we recommend using compression stockings, to put pressure on the feet and prevent fluid retention, which is one of the main causes of pain and the swelling of feet and legs.
- Exercise: Keeping the body in shape will give you enormous benefits for the body and mind. A healthy vascular system helps reduce the risk of swelling, increasing blood flow, and preventing overweight.
- Increase magnesium consumption: The consumption of magnesium supplements can be extremely beneficial for the body. Incorporate this mineral into your system and improve the general state of your health, reduce the frequency of cramps, relieve pain in the extremities.